Wednesday, July 25, 2007

July 25th, 2007 Update

Well I just wanted to let everyone know how things have been for me the past few weeks.

My birthday was pleasant and YES I did blow out all of my candles this year. Better yet I only had to use about HALF of my breathe and was not panting for air when I was done. I had a good time with friends and some family, though not everyone could be there we made the best of it.

As for healthwise things have been pretty good. I finished the antibiotics I started a few weeks ago and am feeling a bit better. My headaches have stopped and the sinus rinses are now able to actually help clear my sinuses whereas before the antibiotics they were seeming to be a waste of time to me. I have been exercising and trying to build my strength also. I have started riding my bike several days a week - basically anytime the weather is nice - something I have not been able to do in over 3 years comfortably. I would try riding before transplant and could only last a minute or so on the bike before I had to stop because I could not breathe. The last time I went for a ride was Sunday July, 22nd and I was able to ride for 6 miles. I made 6 miles in just about 40 minutes. I am not sure if that is slow or not, but to me it is a good pace and I am just excited that I could ride for 40 minutes continuously without needing a break to catch my breath.

I had my 3 month bronchoscopy on Monday the 23rd. Things went pretty well with that - they also took lung biopsies to check for any signs of rejection. I had a breathing test which was very similar to my last one. My TOTAL lung volume had not changed, but the amount of air that I breathe OUT in the first second of exhalation had increased by 4%. My total lung volume is still at around 70% of "normal", while the air I exhale in the first second is up to about 78% of "normal". Also to add - normal is compared to someone my age, sex, weight, height with no underlying lung issues.

I was seen a day early in the office for my 3 month appointment because I was having some wheezing the night and morning after my bronchoscopy, apparently the wheezing is not normal. I called to ask what to do and they just brought me into the office. I talked to the nurse and the doctor and things look fine. The doctor actually said that everything is perfect. My biopsy is perfect - 0 - ZERO signs of rejection, my Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs or Breathing Tests) are great, my cultures as of right now are clear and my blood work looks good. He said that if - IF - he were to treat me for anything he would not know where to begin because everything looks great and he doesn't want to change anything really.

Even though he said nothing needed to be changed he did change some of my medication doses - which is good. He decreased my prednisone dose from 15mg a day to 10mg a day which is wonderful because the prednisone can really affect your blood sugar. Then he increased my Prograf (one of the anti rejection meds) dose from 3mg in the morning and at night to 4 mg in the morning and 3mg at night. He is having me get bloodwork redone on Friday to make sure my levels are okay for Prograf and that they are not to high. My next scheduled appointment and bronch are not for several months now, but I still have some rehab appointments and labs to do.

I will let you go for now because I have to go to a rehab appointment soon, but I hope everyone is doing well and thank you for reading.

Take Care!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I can't imagine six miles on the bike in this heat. You go girl! Let me know when you are ready to take a tour of the gym. I'm not so sure I want a gym buddy who will kick my azz ;)